Forced Air Down Draft Kiln Conversion

Biglou13

Didn’t want to step on other thread…..  I got the green light on an old Skutt 1227 conversion to gas, and since I already have (most parts)  forced air burner. Basically squirrel cage, rheostat, and plumbing parts. I have enough super duty hard brick for chimney flues and other construction.  i'm using 10 cubic feet as kiln volume.   

? My first inclination is to cut burner port and exit flue in floor of kiln to maximize ware space?

? how big exit flue? 2.5 square inch per cubic feet of kiln (Olsen, The kiln book)   will  hit 1  extra  extra angle before box/chimney should I increase size?

? how big inner dimensions of chimney?

? the pressure gauges are broke on parts I have what pressure range do I need and what valves,  and where in line  from tank to burner?   ( propane)

pictures coming soon.

I remember it's minimum 1 inch cube flue area for every 10,000 btu. I worked mine out that way. Estimate at about 60,000 needed but went with a 3by3 inch flue and kept the chimney the same size as it was easy to do with bricks leaving a 3by3 space.

I had a similar idea to go out the floor but couldn't work it out so went out the back. I would see no reason it wouldn't work though.

Archived