Cooking Pizza In A Pottery Kiln, Toxicity ?

Crunchypop

Like this?  This round was pizza bagels but concept is the same.

I would NOT recommend this in a top-loading electric kiln, way too dangerous IMO.

Heat up to around 900*, pizzas cook in just a few minutes like a wood pizza oven.  Use clay pizza stones or a brand new kiln shelf w/o wash, definitely use heat resistant PPE.  After the first time I singed my eyebrows getting too close I decided it was time to make a pizza peel, WAY safer  :D

img_4800.jpg

I wouldn't worry about any toxicity unless you exclusively cook all your meals in your kiln. We all likely breathe more harmful stuff just walking through the clay studio with a dirty floor, breathing in a big city, walking past an idling car in a parking lot, sitting in traffic, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

believe it or not, i was at a clay studio today and a class of newbies came into the glaze room and filled it so i could not get out the door.  i waited and the instructor was telling her class with their first bisqued pots about the "most dangerous tool in the studio", a kitchen electric frying pan with wax in it.  was glad to hear her tell people that the fumes were bad and you could get burned.  one of the last people into the room said "oh, good, i won't have to get a kiln because i have an electric frying pan and i can fire my pots in it."

how the instructor kept from laughing is a mystery.  sometimes the most dangerous tool in the studio is a suppressed laugh that sticks in your throat.

• 4 years later...

Archived