Casting Found Objects 3

I was about to start bedding a rather large tankard to cast, and realized I was running short of white clay. Not wanting to wait until I could get more, I found a sheet of 3" thick insulating styrofoam (the pink stuff) and carved out a cavity for the tankard. I made it large enough to put a thin layer of clay over the foam and to part the handle properly. It sealed quite well in the cottle boards, and the clay peeled cleanly off the the foam when I was done. I can see this working well for other objects that may require more than 2-3 piece molds, too.

I have also found that sections of PVC pipe can be used to form the sprue in the mold. I hold them in place in the opening of the object with a coil of clay, and fit them to the side of the box made by the cottle boards. You can easily build a "spare" around the end of the pipe abutting the board.

Hmmm... might have to make a few out of glued-up nested sections of pipe.....

Great idea, BeckyH. I'll be making and casting some molds in a few months and since I've about finished rebuilding the house, I've many pieces of 4" thick styrofoam insulation remaining that can be utilized. A great solution for reusing some of the waste.wink.gif

Archived