Collapsing Rims Of Plates During Cone 6 Firing

I'm beginning to have problems with the rims of my slip poured stoneware plates collapsing during the glaze cone 6 firing. It just started, I've fired in past with no problems, now they all collapse. The slip supplier said it is the same slip as the other that I purchased. I need help, badly; any input WILL be appreciated. Thanks

I'm beginning to have problems with the rims of my slip poured stoneware plates collapsing during the glaze cone 6 firing. It just started, I've fired in past with no problems, now they all collapse. The slip supplier said it is the same slip as the other that I purchased. I need help, badly; any input WILL be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I had the same problem with my thrown bowls and plates. Here is what I did:

1. Check max. temp. with cones to see if the kiln is firing hotter than normal

2. Check the thickness of the rims and side walls to see if you are making them thinner than usual

3. Ceramic ingredients sometime are changed by the supplier because they switch to a different supplier themselves

4. Is the moisture/wetness of the slip the same or is the molds are wetter than usual which can give you a thinner side wall

Hi, I had the same problem with my thrown bowls and plates. Here is what I did:

1. Check max. temp. with cones to see if the kiln is firing hotter than normal

2. Check the thickness of the rims and side walls to see if you are making them thinner than usual

3. Ceramic ingredients sometime are changed by the supplier because they switch to a different supplier themselves

4. Is the moisture/wetness of the slip the same or is the molds are wetter than usual which can give you a thinner side wall

Archived