Hardwiring a48amp Con Art kiln

I got a used Cone Art kiln that calls for 60 AMP  and hardwiring is recommended. 
my electrician asked me weather the breaker box needs to be fused. 
I read a lot about hardwiring. And still am confused. 
the kiln is close to the house main breakerbox. There is space for 60 amp breaker in the main box. 
do I need an additional breaker box with on/of switch and a fuse?  Or just a connector box  

I would like to get it done safely efficiently and cheaply 

Thank for any help 

Interesting question by your electrician. For large loads typically If you hardwire it it must have a safety disconnect within reasonable distance. If you install a receptacle then that in essence becomes your safety disconnect. Generally no greater than 6 ft from the kiln. As to sizing,(North America) your kiln requires a breaker sized 125% of rated load but no greater than 150%. Tell your electrician it is considered a continuous load by code and size the breaker (and wire). accordingly. Incidentally better to size the wire for 1% or less voltage drop rather than rule of thumb 3%. You want the heat in your kiln, not your house wiring. If he is still wondering, you can point out residential breakers are designed to be loaded 80% maximum. So a 60 amp breaker should never be continuously loaded with more than 48 amps.

The document above is fine, but cone art has docs, diagrams and breaker sizing available on their website. You can download your model kiln there so you can be sure everything is sized per the manufacture and that can be a go to manual for your kiln.

Website https://coneartkilnsshop.com/index.php/pottery-kilns/

If you hardwire then use a service disconnect near the kiln. It does not have to be a fused disconnect. You will still need a breaker in your panel.

Hope that all helps.

Support tab contents

IMG_4674.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb