Dried Out Seeley's Porcelain Slip

My last gallon of Seeley's porcelain slip dried out!  Drat.  I've had this stuff for the past twenty+ years but not used it in years.  When I went to add distilled water it turns out the plastic container was cracked.  No wonder it dried out on me!  So, chipping it out so I can get it into my Shimpo ball mill jar to remix it until it's buttery smooth again.   No pouring porcelain medallions in the studio today.  Thankfully, even though Seeley's went out of business long ago, I can still get it from New York Dynamic Porcelain.  They bought the rights to Seeley's product line and still make Seeley's porcelain slips and china paints.  Thank goodness because this is my favorite porcelain slip and I'm going to need to put in a new order soon.

Seeley's White Porcelain Dried Out SM2.jpg

Any of you have any tips or tricks to share for reconstituting dried out porcelain slip?  It's still a little bit buttery so it's not rock hard.  Figured I'd add some distilled water, ball mill it a bit to smoothly remix it, then see if I need to add any sodium slicate but hopefully it'll be just fine.  This is the last of my batch I picked up more than ... eh, 25 years ago?  I've had it a while.   But shouldn't really be any different than reclaiming clay scraps I should think.

Seeley's White Porcelain Dried Out SM1.jpg

Hello Hyn Patty,

Does this bring back memories??? I was introduced to Seeley's back in the 90's when I made a mold for a local "ceramics" shop. (I was also introduced to Bell Porcelain.) 

Coming from a "potters" background, (i.e. Minnesota Clay #2 Stoneware.) Seeley's and Bell were something of an eye opening experience. It was the first time I had a chance to cast BEAUTIFUL porcelain objects. 

The ceramics shop that hired me to make a few molds was very active in the doll making universe. Both Seeley's and Bell were popular among the doll making crowd.

I found Seeley's to be more workable but more of an "ivory white" color. I found Bell to be a true "bone china" appearance but much more difficult to use.

If I were you I would not add any defocculant. Just add water, let it slake, and see how it turns out. (You can always add defocculant later.) 

I found both developed a really gross green mold, after years of sitting, so I would pass the slip through a screen before using it.

I emailed the New York Dynamic folks at one point but wasn't impressed so I decided to try mixing my own again. I find EPK recipes to be more Seeley's like while English Grolleg recipes seem to be more Bell like.

Good Luck - Thanks!