Potterycrafts Kiln failed to reach temperature

Hello All, 

I have a new to me Potterycrafts Kiln with an IPCO controller that on its last firing failed to reach 1046 degrees C. Instead hovering around the 800 degrees mark. 

I have tested both elements for continuity but beyond that I’m not sure what to try next. Incidentally my smart meter is showing the current power draw at around 1.5kw which is half the rating of the kiln itself. The kiln is currently plugged straight into a separate ring main that powers the garage with no other load. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am desperate to get my first glaze fire on.

All the best,

Budd

There is a ton of things that could cause this but the most intriguing part is you mention the kiln draw is half its rated value. Power draw conversion to heat is very predictable so if one metric is wrong then all will be wrong.  Depending on how the elements are wired you may find only half are actually doing their job. If you can access where the actual wiring harness attaches to your elements you should check here first, the AC vibration will easily loosen these connections over time. Next could be faulty/aged contactors. If I were in your position and you don't know much of the history of the kiln I would just go ahead and replace the elements and any contactors in there, these would be the number one cause of low power draw, as these both have a lifecycle then its wise to start your own journey with this kiln with the clock/count at zero.