Another Chrome-Tin Pink/red Question

azjoe

I was attracted to a nice ^6 ox. red test tile I saw on June Perry's site and tried it... what I got was more of a rasberry red. I dickered with the amount of chrome a little, but always get the same color... a rasberry/maroon. (My test tile was b-mix, same a June's site indicated she used.)

In searching further, I found it interesting that the recipe appears many places... some call it red, others rasberry, some cranberry, and as I recall there was a maroon and also a wine color mentioned somewhere... all exactly the same recipe. Some list it as a gloss, some not (in my tests the base is definitely a nice clear gloss that doesn't run at all, btw).

Cone: 6 Color: Red

Firing: Oxidation Surface: Glossy

Amount Ingredient

21 Gerstley Borate--1999

16 Nepheline Syenite

11 Kaolin--EPK

20 Whiting

32 Silica

100 Total

Additives

.15 Chromium Oxide

5 Tin Oxide

Unity Oxide

.112 Na2O

.026 K2O

.006 MgO

.856 CaO

1.000 Total

.292 Al2O3

.246 B2O3

.003 Fe2O3

2.707 SiO2

.001 TiO2

0 P2O5

9.3 Ratio

69.8 Exp

Comments: Transparent

-----------------------------------

Calculations by GlazeMasterâ„¢

www.masteringglazes.com

------------------------------------

Has anyone (besides June) ever been able to get this recipe to be more "red" (which I assume would be achieved by pushing it in the "pink" direction). I've seen pictures of chrome-tin pinks but never a discussion of what controls the transition between pink and maroon? I tried boosting the Chrome to .175 and .2... both yielded the same color, just the density of it in the clear increased. My scale has a resolution of .1g (which probably means an accuracy of +/- .05g) so my test batch was 400 grams to deal with the potential scale error in measuring such a small chrome content... so, I thought before I started mixing more batches this large I would see if anyone else has been down this path before with better results.

Archived