First Bisque Firing Failure - Troubleshooting

Merkel

I tried doing my first bisque firing in my American Beauty AB18 kiln. It got up to 1100° F with 3 out of 4 switches on, so I flipped the 4th/top switch on. At next check, an hour later, the indicator light was off and I'd lost 200 degrees. What might have happened? It didn't trip the circuit breaker. It won't turn on now. 

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by it won't turn on? If the power button on the sitter won't engage, it's likely that the timer on the Sitter ran down to zero. The timer does not control how long the firing takes- it shuts off the kiln when it reaches zero, regardless of how hot the kiln is. You have to figure out how long a firing will take and set it to about 1/2 hour longer than the expected time, to prevent serious over-firing in the event that the cone mechanism fails.

• 7 months later...

Hi there - I see you have an American Beauty A818.    I bought a used one three yrs ago --- just plugged into wall but misplaced my instructions.       Would you by any chance have an instruction book for it, and know where I can find the manual for it?    I literally have searched MANY places on internet.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you, Laura Blalock

7 hours ago, Laura B said:

Hi there - I see you have an American Beauty A818.    I bought a used one three yrs ago --- just plugged into wall but misplaced my instructions.       Would you by any chance have an instruction book for it, and know where I can find the manual for it?    I literally have searched MANY places on internet.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you, Laura Blalock

Pretty much all manual kilns are fired the same way if they're the typical setup with a Sitter and switches, so any kiln manual for that setup will work for you.