Elements cutting grooves into kiln bricks

GoodHouse

Hi, I’m a new first time kiln owner. She’s a Paragon Caldera XL that’s been fired to cone 6 less than 10 times so far. I noticed along the back wall of my kiln every element has a section where the coils have started leaving marks in the bricks. This is happening with every row along this wall, and only this wall. Should I stop firing for now to prevent making it worse? What caused this and is it preventable? 

I also attached a photo of a polite frog on my mug handle to thank you for your help. 

5DA735DD-8093-42C2-B05F-B3A4C42324D1.jpeg

262A831F-F27C-450A-BE33-4FC747EBF29C.jpeg

Are you sure the grooves weren't already there from the beginning, and you just didn't notice them? I suspect that when the elements were installed and pushed into the grooves that they cut into the bricks a bit. I would not expect them to be able to push into the bricks with enough force to do that just from expansion and contraction during firing, but I suppose it's possible if they're moving and/or expanding a lot. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. They're not going to ruin the brick, and I would be very surprised if they get any worse.

Archived