Teaching A Hands-On Class Online

I teach ceramic students at a senior citizen community where the art curriculum is division of a community college's health services program.  Our art program shut down two weeks ago because of the coronavirus.   The 3 courses I instruct are ceramics related.  They are 0 credit courses.  Our program director has asked the faculty to teach our courses online.  How do you teach a beginning potters wheel class online?  A basic hand building class online?  All I can think of is having my students view a list of You Tube ceramics videos.  Suggestions, recommendations, comments welcomed.  

For that matter, how do you teach other 3 dimensional courses like jewelry, wood working, stone cutting, stain glass, slip casting, teaching them online?

We've been learning from many craft experts on CAD and YouTube for years.  This is a great way to teach and learn.  Students can watch a lesson over ad over. 

Make videos and they will learn. And there are some potters that charge for this through some sort of payment form of YouTube, Google business. 

Good luck, stay well, be safe.

5 hours ago, Mark (Marko) Madrazo said:

We've been learning from many craft experts on CAD and YouTube for years.  This is a great way to teach and learn.  Students can watch a lesson over ad over. 

Make videos and they will learn. And there are some potters that charge for this through some sort of payment form of YouTube, Google business. 

Good luck, stay well, be safe.

Thank you for your response.  The classes are offered through a community college and all of my students  rely on attending classes at a  well equipped studio that has a safety rules.  Because of the corona virus, many students will want to work at home, in the kitchen, garage, or patio.  They may not be practicing the same studio safety rules at home, one of which is creating clay dust.  I cannot encourage working at home.  I could get in trouble if a student gets sick by inhaling dust.  So going back to the issue of how to teach a hands-on clay class online, is it possible?

Archived