India ink on bisque ware

Not sure if this is the right forum, but....can I draw on bisque ware with a quill and India ink, then glaze and fire? I've been doing it on finished ceramic teapots and it looks terrific, but it's obviously a hassle to try to seal it. I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm trying to do.post-10897-132906576522_thumb.jpg

post-10897-132906576522_thumb.jpg

Terrific. Thanks, Chris!

You can also get ceramic paints that you can seal by baking them in a house hold oven for a few minutes. Not sure how well it works as I have not tried it myself but have seen it in art supply stores. Trina

The product that can be used on fired ceramic ware is Porcelaine 150. It flows rather nicely but it's "not for ware that comes in contact with food or drink". If you use them be sure to restrict the use to exterior surfaces. Porcelaine 150 needs to be hardened on by baking in the kitchen oven. Be sure you have the decoration that you want on the surface because once baked it is a very tough surface and you cannot wipe it off. You can add on color and bake it again. However, it will have a bit of the texture of the previous applied color. There is a Porcelaine 150 website that is translated from French and product inquiries are addressed by the company.

But if you have access to a kiln use underglaze. Amaco's LUG#1 Black is wonderful. Amaco also has Velvet Underglazes #V361-Jet Black and #V370-Velour Black.

One important thing is to test these underglazes with your covering glaze; they are stable to Cone 10 but maybe affected by the presence of any zinc in the covering glaze.

Another alternative would be to use China Paints. The black is wonderful and can be used with a quill pen (as other colors can be also). Maryland China sells the paints and mediums. You can use an oil or water based medium. Sorry, but I don't consider Porcelaine 150 as a true ceramic product and would not feel comfortable selling an "art" item that it has been applied on it.

Underglazes are fantastic if you want to apply with a brush and glaze afterward. Otherwise, the unglazed bisque surface is hard on a quill pen and if applied to greenware, you may end up etching the piece with the quill pen nib.

China paint is probably your best option if you want to stick with a quill pen. It can be applied to any piece, purchased or made, that is already glaze fired. After application, the China paint fires to cone 016-018. It can be applied with a brush or with quill pen.

Here is a short information article that includes a short paragraph about using a quill pen with china paint:

http://clay.alfred.e.../johnson00.html

There are are wide array of oils that the china paint powder can be mixed with, but I personally like the water based china paint medium which can be purchased at the following link:

http://chinapainting...uemart&Itemid=1

Your piece is gorgeous and China paint would make it look and feel like a million bucks and a real piece of art. Good luck!

I've been researching how I can do zentangle on my pottery. I've decided to try glaze pens. Axner sells both an underglaze pen & an overglaze pen. The samples on their site look good.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but....can I draw on bisque ware with a quill and India ink, then glaze and fire? I've been doing it on finished ceramic teapots and it looks terrific, but it's obviously a hassle to try to seal it. I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm trying to do.post-10897-132906576522_thumb.jpg

Archived