Black Raku Glaze?

Hi All-

I teach high school ceramics, and am wanting to use a new black raku glaze... but can't find a premixed one to purchase. I am wondering if I can use a regular lowfire black (like Amaco LG-1) for just solid black areas when raku firing. No lustre effect desired. Any opinons? I'm not interested in mixing one from scratch, as I just don't have the facilities for it. Thanks for any input!

Karan

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KaransPotsAndGlass

Welcome to the forum! I noticed you were from Lebanon Ohio. I am from Lancaster Ohio and my brother lives in Wilmington.. small world. I clicked on your Etsy acct. and seen your tooth brush holders and about fell out of my chair, I just made one for my mom that looks similiar to one of yours, even the color!

Welcome to the forum! I noticed you were from Lebanon Ohio. I am from Lancaster Ohio and my brother lives in Wilmington.. small world. I clicked on your Etsy acct. and seen your tooth brush holders and about fell out of my chair, I just made one for my mom that looks similiar to one of yours, even the color!

Hey Buckeye- We're "neighbors"! ;-) That's funny about the toothbrush holder! Ha! I came up with them a while back when I was tired of not finding a toothbrush holder to fit my fat toothbrush. How funny I found it when I realized that I hadn't invented anything new!!! ;-) Oh, well- I still like them! :-)

Hey Buckeye- We're "neighbors"! ;-) That's funny about the toothbrush holder! Ha! I came up with them a while back when I was tired of not finding a toothbrush holder to fit my fat toothbrush. How funny I found it when I realized that I hadn't invented anything new!!! ;-) Oh, well- I still like them! :-)

My mom had asked me for months to make her a toothbrush holder. My 2 year old nephew is at her house a lot and his BIG toothbrush wouldnt fit in hers. After trying some different things I asked her if I could just make her a big cup to put them in.. mom had to have a holder for each one. I probably should have told you the whole story. I was about to give up on it when I was on Etsy one day and came across the perfect toothbrush holder and it had to have been one of yours! It appears I copied your design and my mom thanks you for it!

My experience is that any glaze can be used for Raku. The glazes labeled for Raku simply are known to provide the pretty "lustrous"/metallic effects in a Raku firing. Each non-Raku glaze will react differently in a raku firing depending on the ingredients in the glaze. Green glazes usually have copper in them so you get the copper coloring in a Raku even if it isn't a "Raku" labeled glaze. Testing will be required to determine the effects of Raku firing on a non-Raku glaze.

I fire Raku a lot and my black areas are unglazed. The post-firing-reduction carbonizes the clay and gives me beautiful velvet blacks. But if you want a black glaze effect, I'd consider something in the cone 06-05 range so it will flux at the same temp as your Raku glazes otherwise you will be either over-firing or under-firing.

My experience is that any glaze can be used for Raku. The glazes labeled for Raku simply are known to provide the pretty "lustrous"/metallic effects in a Raku firing. Each non-Raku glaze will react differently in a raku firing depending on the ingredients in the glaze. Green glazes usually have copper in them so you get the copper coloring in a Raku even if it isn't a "Raku" labeled glaze. Testing will be required to determine the effects of Raku firing on a non-Raku glaze.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip! I've been a chicken in trying other lowfire glazes not labeled raku, but now I think I'll give them a try just to see how they look! :-) Since I'm not doing food-safe pieces with my students, I don't think it would matter! Looks like I have some experimentation ahead!

Hi All-

I teach high school ceramics, and am wanting to use a new black raku glaze... but can't find a premixed one to purchase. I am wondering if I can use a regular lowfire black (like Amaco LG-1) for just solid black areas when raku firing. No lustre effect desired. Any opinons? I'm not interested in mixing one from scratch, as I just don't have the facilities for it. Thanks for any input!

Karan

http://www.etsy.com/...ansPotsAndGlass

Mayco makes a beautiful premixed Black Metallic Raku glaze, RK-100.post-6238-132023227901_thumb.jpg

post-6238-132023227901_thumb.jpg

Archived