Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Violette's Achievements


Newbie (1/3)



  1. Hi! New student here. I was pretty bummed to find out that most clays do have mold in them (not always visible) and that if you have autoimmune issues or mold sensitivity, you should probably give it up. It makes sense that having soggy organic matter sitting in a plastic bag is prime real estate for fungi, as well as covered ware boards and tables that keep getting drenched and aren't fully aired out/ dried out. And my local ceramics studio smelled pretty dang musty the second I stepped in there, even with a mask on. I've been digging through the limited info/posts online about mold and clay and it's a bit complicated because a lot of potters rave about how great mold is for the clay itself, but very little is discussed about whether it's good for the humans using it. I really want to find a way to make these classes work out but also have to be realistic about my limitations. This is supposed to be a relaxing way for me to decompress after all and there's enough to think about it in this world right now! But I am curious to explore the this some more because even a couple of the professional potters I asked about this said they've been wondering this themselves, but it seems there's not much serious, informed discussion around it and there hasn't been much scientific study on it. I know you can take various mold samples and send them to a lab like Mycometrics to find out the species is in your own clay but that requires a level of dedication to science I'm not sure I have in me right now! Obviously, mold spores are everywhere and inevitable but need the right conditions to thrive. And it seems to me that pottery definitely provides plenty of opportunities for it to thrive. The thing about mold is that there's SO many kinds, some more harmful than others. And various molds often grow together symbiotically. The toxic variety that you definitely don't want anywhere near you or your house like Stachybotrys and Chaetomium LOVES paper and drywall. Obviously, paper clay is a no no for me. But I'm wondering if there's cross contamination between paper clay and other clays in the warehouse and stores that mix their own clays. I've considered making my own clay in small batches but then that exposes you to a lot more silica than buying bagged. I don't wanna work with clay that's had bleach added to it, but I'm wondering how much hydrogen peroxide I can add to a batch to be effective but not compromise the clay. And inevitably, there are gonna be people that poo poo it and say mold is fine and to relax, but it's not a very helpful blanket statement. Every body is different and every mold is different and every dose is different. Anyway, I'm just curious to hear how you all handle mold in your materials and general work, if you have autoimmune conditions or asthma/respiratory issues, if you personally have mold issues in your house and/or studio, any anecdotal information that might be helpful. I've also heard of a few students having to leave the classes b/c they couldn't physically handle all the mold. And some backstory, I've had to deal with toxic mold before (not gonna lie, it was a traumatic experience and a big financial blow) so needless to say, I'm a little cautious around this stuff! Ok, thanks for your time!
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.