Refurbishing Skutt KS-1027 240V single phase 48A, LT-3K with 2.5 inch thick bricks.
Newbie kiln owner. I took a deep dive into buying my first used kiln. I have a lot of questions, and google isn’t popping up with the answers I’m looking for.
1. Can I replace my damaged kiln bricks with Lynn Manufacturing Insulating Fire Brick IFB rated at 2300F or other non-Skutt brand?
2. Can I cut the channels out with a Dremel tool? If so, what kind of bit would I need?
3. What gauge are the elements? May I replace my elements with kanthal 16 AWG wires. I saw a DIY video where the dude coiled his own elements.
4. What cement would be best to patch up superficial cracks on lid and bottom plate? Or glue for cracked seams/bricks?
5. How can I tell if lid and bottom plate cracks are cracked through and are structural issues?
6. I noticed that my metal stand, draw pull clasp and a few other exterior hardware pieces of rusted. I found some replacements on McMaster-Carr’s website. Does anyone have the stainless steel part numbers for the replacements? Don’t think I want to replace it with Skutt parts that will rust again.