Jump to content

ekoenig

Members
  • Content Count

    9
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. I have completed the firing of all of the pieces and have had no improvement on the cracking even though none were flat on the kiln shelves. In fact, I think more pieces cracked this last time than in the two prior loads. I can only surmise that they were dried too fast, had stress from cut points, and possibly had cooling problems. I also wonder if the clay itself was not a good choice. Anyway, I don't think I will attempt this project again. Too many issues, and too sad to hand people pieces with huge cracks in them. I have been firing things for 8 years and have never had SO MANY problems!
  2. Update on my problems: I tried a small load (two flat items) using various items to lift the pieces off the shelves. One cracked badly and the other came out beautifully. I have noticed that the top shelf pieces have fared the worst so will put a shelf over the top next time. I made a bunch of triangular shaped pieces to use for lifting the work off the shelf next time. Fired them as greenware to cone 6 and it worked fine. We'll see what happens when I use those. Also, I called the store where I get all my supplies (Seattle Pottery Supply). The person I talked to did not believe the prob
  3. Thank you - I will definitely get them off the shelf. I will also use the cutting method you described next time. Holes made from drinking straws may work nicely as the starting point. I really appreciate this forum. Although I took some classes years ago in making pieces I learned nothing about firing, and am on my own when troubles arise! Oh - one more question - do you think the stacking and adhering (someone said applique?) technique is doable, or bad practice?
  4. Thanks so much! I will definitely try the coils on the next batch. Or sand (since I am not going to be doing a bisque firing anytime soon) - is it really okay to just use play sand??? I don't think it is only stress points though. I went out and looked at the finished pieces and three of the worst cracked ones have no points cut into them as you can see here. Only one of these is around 8-9" wide. The other two are smaller. Other pieces in the load came out fine. Could it somehow be the kiln? By the way, the clay we used was Sea Mix w/ sand from Seattle Pottery Supply and I fired t
  5. Here are the two I made with severe cracking on bottom layer. They are about 8" across. Also, getting this figured out is crucial because I had planned to do the same project with the public at the library where I work. Thanks!
  6. Hello, I have a similar problem and it involves a lot of pieces made by a lot of people so I hope someone can help. I like to have clay parties to share the joy of working with clay, so I got together a bunch of co-workers and we made about 25 suns/flowers. I rolled out the slabs ahead of time to make the process faster. The ides was to cut and embellish three sizes of circles, and bisque fire them unattached. Then we would glaze them in three colors, and I would stack them to adhere during firing. All went well with the bisque firing. I started to worry about whether this stacking of
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.