Firing A Gas Kiln

I've just acquired an old gas downdraft kiln, soft brick, about 4.5 cu. ft. Just sort of a test kiln. Before I set up permanently I'd like to test it using a few 5 gallon propane tanks. The two burners are each 78K btu. Can anyone help me with the size regulator I should use for these tanks? I'm planning on both bisque and cone 10 reduction. Many thanks

what kind of test can you do with 5 gallon tanks?

I have 30 psi regulators Series 1200 on my 5 gallon tanks for raku.

I got them from Marc Ward Burners.

4.5 cubic feet is small but to get to ^10 will take a lot of gas. Call Marc Ward if you need some answers about the firing power you need.

An old rule of thumb was 30,000 btus /cubic ft

30,000 x 4.5 =135,000/hour at high temperature for soft bricks.

It was 120,000/cubic ft. for hard brick

Marcia

what kind of test can you do with 5 gallon tanks?

I have 30 psi regulators Series 1200 on my 5 gallon tanks for raku.

I got them from Marc Ward Burners.

4.5 cubic feet is small but to get to ^10 will take a lot of gas. Call Marc Ward if you need some answers about the firing power you need.

An old rule of thumb was 30,000 btus /cubic ft

30,000 x 4.5 =135,000/hour at high temperature for soft bricks.

It was 120,000/cubic ft. for hard brick

Marcia

THanks Marcia, that is very helpful information. The test is really just to see if it will fire before I transport it and have the 125gal. tank installed at home. Now I can bug my friends and neighbors looking for a spare regulator I can borrow for a few days. I appreciate your response.

The only gas burning kiln I have is a small raku kiln. If you will be using propane, just ask your local supplier the best way to test your find. You are a potential customer, and I've found propane suppliers are more than willing to work with you, giving information, helpful hints and even work up special burners, hoses, and safety equipment to fit your needs. Working with propane all the time makes them the go-to guys when problems arise (or before problems get started).

The only gas burning kiln I have is a small raku kiln. If you will be using propane, just ask your local supplier the best way to test your find. You are a potential customer, and I've found propane suppliers are more than willing to work with you, giving information, helpful hints and even work up special burners, hoses, and safety equipment to fit your needs. Working with propane all the time makes them the go-to guys when problems arise (or before problems get started).

Thanks so much. That's exactly what I did today. They fixed me up with a regulator and hose. Just one more connector and I'm good to go. I appreciate all the responses.

Archived