.469 SrO

1.000 Total

.45 Al2O3

.002 Fe2O3

2.347 SiO2

.003 TiO2

5.2 Ratio

8.9 Exp

This one I shared with Alisa Claussen who does lots of glaze testing. She added the empirical formula and converted it to Strontium from Barium Carbonate.

Marcia

Looking for a turquoise satin (or semi-gloss) glaze recipe. Something about the color of the stone.

I'm thinking I need about 2% copper carbonate but I'm not sure about the base recipe.

Thanks!

I agree with Marcia. Pete's weathered bronze is very nice. It also works in reduction. It will be more bronze if thin, especially on red clay.

Marcia,

Thanks for passing that along. I'm a relative newbie and the only thing I'm not following is the "Unity Oxide" or those other trace chemicals. Are they additives also?

Thanks Again!

That is the chemical breakdown. for calculations. RO, R2O3 and RO2 radicals.

When you get into calculations it will be more meaningful for you. Alisa always lists them with her tests.If you want to see a lot of glaze tests google Alisa Clausen or go to Clayart archives.

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Mixed some up and tried it this weekend. Photo attached. Love the color but not sure about the bumps. The inside of the pots are basically smooth and unblemished. Any thoughts?

Fired to cone 6 over a period of about 11+ hours.

post-3132-12982361522949_thumb.jpg

post-3132-12982361522949_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. Mixed some up and tried it this weekend. Photo attached. Love the color but not sure about the bumps. The inside of the pots are basically smooth and unblemished. Any thoughts?

Fired to cone 6 over a period of about 11+ hours.

Can't explain the bumps either, but YUCK!! What clay are you using? Is this in Oxidation? what was the firing cycle? Did you soak at ^6?

Marcia

The clay was Highwater Brownstone fired to cone 6 oxidation. Other glazes did fine. Let the kiln shut off per the kiln sitter. No extra soak (Didn't want to out think myself). I'll have to start a separate discussion to see if anyone has some hints for my type kiln.

Archived