Ceramic Residency Or Studio Programs, Los Angeles Or Otherwise

Does anyone know of a ceramic residency program in the Los angeles area (or elsewhere)?

I have an MFA in sculpture/video but I haven't had the opportunity to work indepth with clay, glazes, and firing.

I'm now doing a project where I need these facilities. It doesn't really make sense for me to enroll in classes because mostly I just need to have a place to fire the work, and also unfortuntly I can't really afford the cost, plus materials.

I see that some studios here will let you use there facilities for a fee, but only after the completion of their classes, or if you can prove that you have worked extensively with ceramics in the past. My project is not very technically complicated, small sculptures under 10 inch each, most roughly the same shape, with small amount of guidance I'm sure I could keep them from blowing up in the kiln, or, at least I would do my absolute best to make sure that that would not happen.

So I'm either looking for a place in LA fire them, or for a residency program where I can work and fire, in the latter case it wouldn't have to be in Los angeles, or even in the US if the program is suitable.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say - Thanks so much!

Does anyone know of a ceramic residency program in the Los angeles area (or elsewhere)?

I have an MFA in sculpture/video but I haven't had the opportunity to work indepth with clay, glazes, and firing.

I'm now doing a project where I need these facilities. It doesn't really make sense for me to enroll in classes because mostly I just need to have a place to fire the work, and also unfortuntly I can't really afford the cost, plus materials.

I see that some studios here will let you use there facilities for a fee, but only after the completion of their classes, or if you can prove that you have worked extensively with ceramics in the past. My project is not very technically complicated, small sculptures under 10 inch each, most roughly the same shape, with small amount of guidance I'm sure I could keep them from blowing up in the kiln, or, at least I would do my absolute best to make sure that that would not happen.

So I'm either looking for a place in LA fire them, or for a residency program where I can work and fire, in the latter case it wouldn't have to be in Los angeles, or even in the US if the program is suitable.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say - Thanks so much!

Have you considered the Mendocino Art Center in the Village of Mendocino in Northern California? I know that they have a resdency program and it has just been vacated. I am sure that there are others but that seems to be a very popular one and there is excellent support from the College of the Redwoods which has two very good professors of ceramics, Bob Zvolensky and Bob Rhoades as well as an excellent physical plant to support the ceramic arts. I know them well my pottery is in the vicinity and because it is a resort area there is a lot of competition for positions. if you need specifics PM me.

Best regards,

Charles

Archived