Photo
- - - - -

$$#x%!&(* Caught The Flu And Let My Bowls Dry Before Trimming!

trimming dry pots

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'm really pleased with mine, it's such an easy way to keep things "in the state you left them".

Wouldn't life be bliss if everything except dirty dishes were like that?

#22 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

My day job pays for my clay habit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg area, PA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

The first thing I made from plaster.  It's absolutely great, I just wish I could find taller, narrower boxes to use.  I don't want to fill so much floor space, but would like more height!

I look at plastic containers everytime I go into a shop.  One day I'll find something...........

Try a craft store (especially this time of year) - they have tons of different sizes and shapes.

#23 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

MichaelP - I agree with Chilly - mine have been in use for over a year now, no mould whatsoever. I too have small pieces stored from months ago and a bowl waiting to be trimmed - beautifully leather hard!

I have once tipped out the batts and given them a rinse & wipe, but only to clean up the surface as part of a general 'spring clean' & tidy of my studio, not out of necessity. They stay damp (bizarrely) and rarely, if ever need to be re-wet.

They save all that wrapping up and spraying business to keep things workable for the next making stage. If I'd known about these when I ran a weekly pottery club in school, it would have transformed my life! MAKE ONE NOW - you won't regret it.

#24 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Celia, I so agree about the weekly pottery club.  I ran them after-school at two different schools, and made sure I forgot to take my own bags everytime I went supermarket shopping, so I had plenty to save up for wrapping! 

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#25 RuthB

RuthB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

One of the members at the studio has a medium size refrigerator with damp plaster slabs. And she has a humidity monitor to keep everything just right! What a brilliant idea! Another member uses a styrofoam cooler. Maybe standing one on end would work for taller work... Though most of them have slanted sides, I think you could level a plaster slab, either by propping it up or making it in the cooler. Just an idea.....

#26 hershey8

hershey8

John Autry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMineral Bluff, Ga

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

UPDATE: I was able to trim foot and outside of bowls by placing them on a carpet pad glued to a batt, and misting the area that needed trimming. I used a spray bottle and dialed it to the finest mist possible. I sprayed, waited a short while (less than a minute) and trimmed. When I trimmed off the moist clay and needed to trim more, I just misted the area again. I was afraid that the uneven moisture in the pot would crack or warp it, but it didn't. I wanted to try the damp box thing, but I was on a time line and had to get this done in a hurry. Some times you just get lucky!

Thanks for all the tips!  ja

ps. If you didn't know, the carpet pad thing keeps you from having to attach your pot to the wheel head with wads of clay. The pad keeps the pot from sliding off the wheel head. You simply apply down pressure with one hand while trimming with the other. Probably won't work in every case, but it did on the small bowls I was trimming. j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users