1 reply to this topic

#1 NickiGreen

NickiGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

(so it seems the word Q U E E R is automatically censored on this forum (weird? offensive?) so i had to combine it with the word next to it to keep it from becoming entirely hash-marks....)

Are there any QueerCeramics makers out there? QueerFolks who are making work related to Queerness? I'm a QueerTrans Lady Artist in San Francisco who makes work, primarily in ceramics, about (and documenting) the experience of beingQueer and Trans in the world. I know so few other ceramic-making folks who identify asQueer, and was hoping to build some community, maybe curate a show or something, but mostly to connect with each other.

I've been making Delftware inspired work for a while now (is Blue and White tired? Sometimes i think so....), working with underglazes and stains (instead of cobalt) that reads more like blue-purple (like cobalt...but gayer...) and making images of queerPeople, sort of using ceramics to document and kind of immortalize QueerHistory then and now.... I guess i'm interested in Delftware's use of illustrating history, the sort of scenes or landscapes that are preserved forever in clay, and i guess i've just been thinking how rich this is given how poorly gay andQueer history is documented, and how i rarely get to see blue and white ceramics that discusses more than it's sort of innate decorative qualities. I was telling a QueerLesbian Ceramics Artist in Portland, OR that I think blue and white is the ceramics equivalent of using quilt patterns or cross stitching or other craft-tropes in artwork. Anyway! Just some thoughts about my work.....

My (currently under construction) website is NickiGreen.org, would love to see other folk's work and talk about QueerCeramics!

#2 Armen Enikolopov

Armen Enikolopov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Nicki,
Agreeing with you that censoring '######' is crazy. Can an administrator look into this? I'm surprised, frankly, that the board is censored at all. Anyway, I think Grayson Perry might be of interest to you. A brief search also brings up this: http://extremecraft....tterys-gay.html, which talks about Eric Scollon, though I'm not personally familiar with his work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users