Has Anyone Used Mayco Copper Ore?

auroramoon

Hi, Has anyone used the Mayco Copper Ore? I thought it would come out kind of metallic, but It ended up being just a boring matte brown. I painted it on, 2 coats. It was on 182 clay. Any suggestions? Should I put it on thinner, or use with another glaze? I wanted that nice metallic, bronzy-copper color. Help please!

In my last glaze firing I fired a test tile with Mayco Copper Float cone 5-6 (if this is the glaze you are refering to.  Dipped the tile 2x so it was thick on the tile.  A pretty good copper color.  The point of this being you probably need to brush 3 or 4 coats unthined.  Try it again and see what happens.  As everyone says, "test, test, test."

Thanks, I will try that. It's not Copper Float, it's called Copper Ore, but I saw that one too, and they looked similar. I am kind of new to all of this, so maybe I will try making some test tiles. I usually try new glazes on pieces I'm not as attached to, but it still sucks when the results are disappointing on an otherwise useful piece.

Hello! My name is Lisa and I am the resident potter for Mayco.

Copper Ore is a new color for our palette, it is a fun one. It will go very metallic for you, I am wondering if there are possibly a couple things at work here.

1. Sounds like the glaze may be applied a bit too thinly. Try 3 painted coats, full drying between. When using 3 coats, watch product for movement (flow or possibly running). 

2. I am not sure you got a full cone 6? Possibly the kiln was a tad underfired?

3. A note on that glaze: It will move a little in the kiln if fired properly. Most of our glazes do not move much at all but this one will. Watch it for running. Keep it up high or contained to inside, etc.

Do some tests, I like it on 182 so I would look at kiln temp first.

:)

Also, Copper Float is awesome, as mentioned by another artist in this thread. It does not move as much but is a different color. It is way more red, lovely!!!

post-59100-0-49289200-1378225602_thumb.jpg

Here, I used Copper Ore around the middle of the piece, the Copper-ish areas.

post-59100-0-49289200-1378225602_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Lisa! I will look into the kiln temp, but pretty sure the studio I am at fires to ^6. But I think I maybe did just apply to thin, and maybe didn't allow to fully dry in between coats...I'm not used to brushing on glazes, I normally dip. I will try again! Thank you for the info, and I love your piece in the photo!  :)

Archived