25 replies to this topic

#21 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Isculpt, I would assume that raku clay would be a good choice for what you do, too. You can get Laguna in the southeast. I get mine from Davens in Atlanta. If your SC supplier doesn't stock it, they can order it for you.

Oldlady, (I feel funny addressing you like that, but I assume you don't mind.) The drought was several years long. Long enough for us to lose some beautiful old trees. Thank Beelzebub the ancient oak in front of my house didn't die. The pond in my woods dried up. Now, we've had enough rain to end the drought and cause new problems, like trees falling over in the wind because the ground is so saturated and soft. My wife has to leave her studio (she paints) every time the wind blows because of a large pine tree next to it.

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Words like kyanite or talc are just something to look for in the description of the clay body, correct?

Talc bodies are usually low fire and since they are tight they tend to crack more especially repeated firings. Kyanite is a additive and would be wedged in later I would guess.I use it in kiln coatings.

Most sculpture bodies are loose (more grog etc) and I would think work for you.

I have used paper clay for sculptures with great success but it has its drawbacks like cutting it. 

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

After all these stories about never-drying-pots and saturated with water soil, Nevada seems to be a perfect place for potters.

Humidity is next to zero here. Takes 2 days to get the pot completely dry on a shelf and 4 days if it is covered with a plastic wrap.

#24 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

After all these stories about never-drying-pots and saturated with water soil, Nevada seems to be a perfect place for potters.

Humidity is next to zero here. Takes 2 days to get the pot completely dry on a shelf and 4 days if it is covered with a plastic wrap.

Same with Colorado. I was constantly covering pots with plastic and spraying them with water to keep them from drying too fast. The Colorado Potters Guild had a drying room where they hung wet beach towels and ran a humidifier to keep the humidity high.

Jim

E pur si muove.

#25 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Mark, nice avatar! Real f******* nice!

Jim

E pur si muove.

#26 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Same with Colorado. I was constantly covering pots with plastic and spraying them with water to keep them from drying too fast. The Colorado Potters Guild had a drying room where they hung wet beach towels and ran a humidifier to keep the humidity high.

Jim

I think the weather here is great for clay work. It's not too humid and not too dry, minus the winter of course.

Mark, nice avatar! Real f******* nice!

Jim

I wondered when you would say something about that?
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users