Workshop Offer

Hi, I've actually posted this on another forum topic but got no response as yet so will try my luck here!

My name is Nicci and I am travelling to the US in July-August and wondered if anyone had some advice (or is interested in a visit from an Oz potter) or where to look to give short pottery workshops in community colleges, art schools or just helping out at a working pottery or studio. I'm in San Francisco first up from 21 July then across to New York until 3 August and have those weeks in between free so far and can travel accordingly.

I have given many workshops here in Oz but usually by request and I don't have any pottery contacts in America. With a similar request through the equivalent Australian ceramic discussion list in 2009 I found a Spanish potter who was interested and I spent a memorable week in Spain with her at her studio making and talking pots in Spanish.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">I've been a TAFE (Technical and Further Education College) ceramic teacher for 5 years, potter for 19 years and I'm happy to provide the workshop delivery in exchange for board/billeting, it's a fabulous way to get to know a culture, talk pots and of course share skills and clay passions. I have a website if anyone is interested in seeing my work www.niccijones.com <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Nicci

Nicci;

The reason that you didn't get a response, is that you didn't post any images of your work in the gallery. Also, many of us are not in a position to offer you a place as we are not affiliated with colleges.

TJR.

Most of the things you are looking for is all about work on your side. contact department heads or who ever else of community colleges, art schools and working studios/shops. Considering you will be a visiting teacher for the most part, be prepared to show your art and your skill in the medium you are trying to demonstrate. My suggestion, send off video of you in previous workshops. It doesn't really take much.

Guest JBaymore

Also most workshop type schools book people a year or two ahead of time ... You can't just show up as an unknown factor and get a slot.

Very true, Chris. Plus for the US academic commuinty... we are mostly on summer break from now until September. Our student base is all away from campus at the moment. And many of the faculty are trying to catch a "breather" from the busy end of the Spring semester.... and final student exhibitions and commencement ceremonies and the like.

Maybe try some of the "craft centers" that host workshops....... they might have the audiences to pull in quickly on short notices.

best,

.......................john

My name is Nicci and I am travelling to the US in July-August and wondered if anyone had some advice (or is interested in a visit from an Oz potter)

I admire you adventurous nature. checked out the website, not much bout you...

Clicked photos and got one ...

Which is you?

post-12771-136849353808_thumb.jpg

post-12771-136849353808_thumb.jpg

Archived