glazing outdoor ceramic pieces

Should outdoor pieces be glazed on the interior of the piece to prevent future problems?

I painted a bisque piece at a studio recently and they glazed and fired it. I noticed when I went to put the piece in my garden that the inside of the piece still had that chalky bisque feel to it. I didn't paint the inside. I thought they dip the whole piece in the glaze (inside and outside), not just the outside painted areas before they fire it. That way the inside would be smooth and shiny like the outside painted parts.

Is this a normal procedure for outdoor pieces? Won't this cause a problem with moisture getting inside the piece since the bottom of the piece has a big opening and will be sitting in the dirt?. It seems like it would eventually disinagrate or the paint would separate from the piece.

A good start would be understanding vitrification.

Many people have pottery gardens, and these pieces both glazed and not.,and sitting in the dirt will out live many of our life times.

Glaze may make clay water resistant, but can also cause physical problems.

Much depends on sentence one.

There will be other along with more scholarly response.

I have a lot of work in my yard ... Glazed only on outer surfaces or not glazed at all. This is in North Carolina where it does freeze, but not for months on end. Some have been out there for 18 - 20 years with no obvious damage. The ones that lasted the shortest time were the raku pieces. Glazed or unglazed they have fallen apart ... I guess because they were softer??

Archived