Photo
- - - - -

Can you remove wax resist from leather hard clay?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I have been playing around trying to figure out how stuff works and reacts etc. I brushed some wax resist on a leatherhard ( leaning towards the dryer end of leatherhard) piece of clay. I wanted to practice carving into it to make fine lines and such so I could brush thin underglaze into the grooves then bisque fire. It did not go well the wax just peeled right off when I tried gently carving a line through it. Since it wasn't working I decided to just scrap the whole square of wax off the clay and that got me to thinking... can you scrape wax resist off leather hard clay? I know you have to refire bisqueware to remove the wax but would kind of like to know if this also applies to unfired clay. I was able to remove all of the test patch I did, or at least it appears to be gone as I removed a thin layer of clay during the scraping and now the area is a dull gray once more and water did not bead up when I wiped it with a sponge. So is the wax gone or is it still lurking there somewhere?

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#2 TypicalGirl

TypicalGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAngels Camp, Ca

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Pugaboo,
Can't help much in the wax resist dept as I don't use it, but for the incising you were trying, you might try brushing on shellac instead of wax and then try carving through that.
Cathi Newlin, Angels Camp, Ca
box49@caltel.com
http://www.CNewlin.com

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

The technique you were trying would work using wax resist on bisque, over a glaze and scratching the surface , then sponge on an oxide into the lines.
Wax on wet/leather hard clay will peel off as you describe.
To remove wax, fire the piece up to 500 degrees or a bit hotter to burn off the wax. Or just go ahead an bisque fire it.

Marcia

#4 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Thank you
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic