Plunger Button Won't Lock In Place

Hi Again

I posted a couple days ago, looking for manuals, found lots on the 'net, plus scored one from my local Pottery Supply Store.

All set to do my first test fire, have the Cone in the Cone Holder/Rod position, but the Plunger button won't stay locked in place.

This is an OLD kiln, maybe 15 years old, and does not have a timer (I saw that setting the timer to 20 hours and THEN pushing the plunger might "clear" the problem, but since I don't have a timer, this is not an option for me).

Any clue if it's worth having this fixed? Or is it a biggie and not worth fixing?

This is super easy to fix. I purchased an old kiln last year with the same problem. It will only take you 3 minutes. Unscrew the face plate of the plunger. Then take a screw driver and just wiggle the piece inside that holds the plunger in place. The manufacturer stresses not to use any oil of any kind. My was rusted in place and would not move to hold the plunger. After wiggling it back and forth a couple times it worked flawlessly.

Hi Again

I posted a couple days ago, looking for manuals, found lots on the 'net, plus scored one from my local Pottery Supply Store.

All set to do my first test fire, have the Cone in the Cone Holder/Rod position, but the Plunger button won't stay locked in place.

This is an OLD kiln, maybe 15 years old, and does not have a timer (I saw that setting the timer to 20 hours and THEN pushing the plunger might "clear" the problem, but since I don't have a timer, this is not an option for me).

Any clue if it's worth having this fixed? Or is it a biggie and not worth fixing?

Hey, thanks so much for replying. My brother took it apart and wiggled and jiggled and poked and prodded, and voila, it is firing right now, even as we "speak"!

.............cher

This is super easy to fix. I purchased an old kiln last year with the same problem. It will only take you 3 minutes. Unscrew the face plate of the plunger. Then take a screw driver and just wiggle the piece inside that holds the plunger in place. The manufacturer stresses not to use any oil of any kind. My was rusted in place and would not move to hold the plunger. After wiggling it back and forth a couple times it worked flawlessly.

Hi Again

Archived