#21 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

My first studio was in a corner of a single car garage, then we moved to a larger house and it had a small building at the edge of the lot. It was supposedly built during World War II to rent to airmen families but it was 20X15 and no kitchen. I loved it, located near a woodsy area and creek I would spend hours and hours working out there, my husband would throw rocks at the house at 3 AM to remind me to come to bed. My next studio was in the basement of an historic home it was basically a dungeon, no windows and damp. My current studio I designed and built it with our new house. It's comfortable, convenient and lots of windows, it has a separate kiln room and a good sink with a clay settling system. Like Marcia I have a lot of birds with fields and a creek across the street I can watch deer grazing or turkeys doing a mating dance. Life has been good to me. Denice

#22 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Gosh, that's exactly what the paint chip sample called it! Isn't it hideous?
My grandchildren are allowed to write and draw all over my studio walls so hopefully someday, as they grow taller, it will all be covered.

Chris;
I thought I was insulting you when I called it that. I had a red living room once-chose the paint colour myself. I was going for a Pagoda Red, but it turned out to be Fire Alarm Red. People on the street would stop and stare into our living room, not realizing that we were sitting there looking at them. We now have a dark purple living room[different house], and I like it as well.I grew up living in a beige house with beige furniture and drapes. You gotta have colour.
TJR

#23 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I thought I had replied to this thread, but I must not have.

I have two bays of a three car garage, it is my new space I just moved in a few weeks ago. Prior to that I had a single bay of a garage and it was small. I feel I have tons of space...and hot and cold running water finally. Still need to finalize some things and yes I am covering my new glaze buckets once they are filled with a thick plastic with a bungee cord under the outside rim. I made a video for some friends to see my new place.

Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#24 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I have two bays of a three car garage, it is my new space I just moved in a few weeks ago. Prior to that I had a single bay of a garage and it was small. I feel I have tons of space...and hot and cold running water finally. Still need to finalize some things and yes I am covering my new glaze buckets once they are filled with a thick plastic with a bungee cord under the outside rim. I made a video for some friends to see my new place.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1BUPDE69GCA

Hey, Brian;
Nice video! I have two questions for you;
!. Those six 10 gallon glaze buckets don't appear to have lids. If you are teaching classes in there, you would want to have lids, as your students willCONTAMINATE those glazes.
2. Do you have a clay trap for your sink? Where does the thick clay water go?
Looks good. Any heat? Or do you need this?
Tom[TJR.]

#25 kathi

kathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Gosh, that's exactly what the paint chip sample called it! Isn't it hideous?
My grandchildren are allowed to write and draw all over my studio walls so hopefully someday, as they grow taller, it will all be covered.

At my house, we call that color, "Pepto Pink."

#26 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hey, Brian;
!. Those six 10 gallon glaze buckets don't appear to have lids. If you are teaching classes in there, you would want to have lids, as your students willCONTAMINATE those glazes.
Tom[TJR.]

TJR,

Yes I have covered the glaze buckets once I started to fill them. However it was just with thick plastic and bungee cords. Mark confirmed that wood tops painted work better which I will do when I build a new center work area. I plan on getting rid of that folding table and making a two level Masonite top work area. As for the sink I have purchased a GelCo for my last studio space, so I plan on reinstalling it here, but I have not yet. The plumber just put the sink in and I need to get the trap installed. A grease trap type drain would have been best, but just was not possible there.

No there is no heat source other than a small space heater which is not adequate for the space. However a few days ago I was having trouble getting my thrown ware hard enough to trim so I put the electric kiln on low with lid propped and fan on it and it wormed up well. Not sure of the issues with this, but for a few hours it worked fine.
Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#27 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hey, Brian;
Tom[TJR.]

TJR,

Yes I have covered the glaze buckets once I started to fill them. However it was just with thick plastic and bungee cords. Mark confirmed that wood tops painted work better which I will do when I build a new center work area. I plan on getting rid of that folding table and making a two level Masonite top work area. As for the sink I have purchased a GelCo for my last studio space, so I plan on reinstalling it here, but I have not yet. The plumber just put the sink in and I need to get the trap installed. A grease trap type drain would have been best, but just was not possible there.

No there is no heat source other than a small space heater which is not adequate for the space. However a few days ago I was having trouble getting my thrown ware hard enough to trim so I put the electric kiln on low with lid propped and fan on it and it wormed up well. Not sure of the issues with this, but for a few hours it worked fine.

Brian;
I am assuming a Gelco is a clay trap. I am not familiar with it. I just built my own 24 x 24 studio with heat in the floor. Dug a 4 ft. trench for a water line from my house, but have not connected the plumbing this winter. I have to confess that I don't know how to post pictures here. I am a bit of a Ludite.
TJR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users