Tell us a story about your studio. | Q.O.W. 2/5/2013

Guest JBaymore

I thought I had replied to this thread, but I must not have.

I have two bays of a three car garage, it is my new space I just moved in a few weeks ago. Prior to that I had a single bay of a garage and it was small. I feel I have tons of space...and hot and cold running water finally. Still need to finalize some things and yes I am covering my new glaze buckets once they are filled with a thick plastic with a bungee cord under the outside rim. I made a video for some friends to see my new place.

Hey, Brian;

Nice video! I have two questions for you;

!. Those six 10 gallon glaze buckets don't appear to have lids. If you are teaching classes in there, you would want to have lids, as your students willCONTAMINATE those glazes.

2. Do you have a clay trap for your sink? Where does the thick clay water go?

Looks good. Any heat? Or do you need this?

Tom[TJR.]

TJR,

Yes I have covered the glaze buckets once I started to fill them. However it was just with thick plastic and bungee cords. Mark confirmed that wood tops painted work better which I will do when I build a new center work area. I plan on getting rid of that folding table and making a two level Masonite top work area. As for the sink I have purchased a GelCo for my last studio space, so I plan on reinstalling it here, but I have not yet. The plumber just put the sink in and I need to get the trap installed. A grease trap type drain would have been best, but just was not possible there.

No there is no heat source other than a small space heater which is not adequate for the space. However a few days ago I was having trouble getting my thrown ware hard enough to trim so I put the electric kiln on low with lid propped and fan on it and it wormed up well. Not sure of the issues with this, but for a few hours it worked fine.

I thought I had replied to this thread, but I must not have.

I have two bays of a three car garage, it is my new space I just moved in a few weeks ago. Prior to that I had a single bay of a garage and it was small. I feel I have tons of space...and hot and cold running water finally. Still need to finalize some things and yes I am covering my new glaze buckets once they are filled with a thick plastic with a bungee cord under the outside rim. I made a video for some friends to see my new place.

Hey, Brian;

Nice video! I have two questions for you;

!. Those six 10 gallon glaze buckets don't appear to have lids. If you are teaching classes in there, you would want to have lids, as your students willCONTAMINATE those glazes.

2. Do you have a clay trap for your sink? Where does the thick clay water go?

Looks good. Any heat? Or do you need this?

Tom[TJR.]

TJR,

Yes I have covered the glaze buckets once I started to fill them. However it was just with thick plastic and bungee cords. Mark confirmed that wood tops painted work better which I will do when I build a new center work area. I plan on getting rid of that folding table and making a two level Masonite top work area. As for the sink I have purchased a GelCo for my last studio space, so I plan on reinstalling it here, but I have not yet. The plumber just put the sink in and I need to get the trap installed. A grease trap type drain would have been best, but just was not possible there.

No there is no heat source other than a small space heater which is not adequate for the space. However a few days ago I was having trouble getting my thrown ware hard enough to trim so I put the electric kiln on low with lid propped and fan on it and it wormed up well. Not sure of the issues with this, but for a few hours it worked fine.

Brian;

I am assuming a Gelco is a clay trap. I am not familiar with it. I just built my own 24 x 24 studio with heat in the floor. Dug a 4 ft. trench for a water line from my house, but have not connected the plumbing this winter. I have to confess that I don't know how to post pictures here. I am a bit of a Ludite.

TJR.

Archived