Sign in to follow this  
elainecarroll

Matte glazes

I am very new to making glazes and would really appreciate some help. I am looking for some matte glaze recipes that would allow red iron oxide to show through. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I surely would appreciate it. Thanks Elaine

neilestrick    1,381

To get iron to show through in cone 6 oxidation, it takes a lot more iron than in reduction. I used to use a 10% iron slip in reduction, but use 20% iron in oxidation. Whether you're using a slip or straight iron oxide, it will show through most matte glazes if the iron/slip is thick enough. Glazes that are matte due due crystal growth rather than due to under-firing will tend to show it more because it will get into the melt more. Test, test, test....

To get iron to show through in cone 6 oxidation, it takes a lot more iron than in reduction. I used to use a 10% iron slip in reduction, but use 20% iron in oxidation. Whether you're using a slip or straight iron oxide, it will show through most matte glazes if the iron/slip is thick enough. Glazes that are matte due due crystal growth rather than due to under-firing will tend to show it more because it will get into the melt more. Test, test, test....

Thanks so much, that is exactly the info I needed. I will start testing.