Hard water to soft help!

sulamaye

Hi,

I posted this issue in another section, but am trying here now as it is more to do with glazes me thinks!

Does anyone have any experience of moving from a hard water area to a soft water area? I have just moved from one side of the uk to the other, from water very hard to water very soft. I can feel that my Rhodes White stoneware glaze is very fluffy after applying it and is going far more vitreous and so looking over fired. I am 98% certain ithe kiln is firing fine for various reasons. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas suggestions about how to counter it. I am going to try diluting the glaze further to see if this helps but any other advice gratefully received. thanks.

I'm having problems with a couple of glazes I use. One is out of the Roy/Hessleberth book. Hesselberth suggested I use distilled water to see if I could remove the water variable from the equation. It seemed to help, but I'm not sure. I'm going to do another test with my next firing. The glazes in question go on real wet, but they aren't very thick. They take a while to dry since they've soaked the bisque with too much water. Unfortunately I have to get my head around a thing before I can understand it and my issue is flocculation/deflocculation. I don't know if this is what you are dealing with though, hope that helped at least a little bit.

Joel.

Archived