Kiln Question

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and I have very limited experience with ceramics. I hope you don't mind me barging in here with questions. I'm an art teacher and my principal suggested that we buy a kiln for the students. I took two handbuilding courses in college so I have some knowledge of the creation process, but I've never touched a kiln! Can any of you suggest a good kiln? Along with the kiln suggestion can you give me information on what I would need along with the kiln such as special power supplies, propane tanks, special ventilation? Thanks in advance.

There are other responses 'In the Studio' that can help as well please take a look.

This is a copy of the post from 'In The Studio' that I shared earlier today which answers the same question.

There are many kiln manufacturer's and it is very personal thing. Ask your clay supplier for kiln brochures then go to their websites and read the specifics, see which one appeals to you. Here is a page from Dick Blick that can help you decide; they sell many brands. http://www.dickblick...fo/learn/kilns/

• 2 weeks later...

in shopping for a kiln, consider the convenient size for you to fill and the frequency of firing because you will be the one baby sitting. I like having a delayed start on a computer controller. that way I can conveniently be present when the kiln hits high temperature in about 8 hours. look at shipping costs, whole salers, brand names with good reputations and consider what is close to your location. check to see if your institution has 208 or 220 wiring before you order. It significantly alters the performance if you get the wrong one.

Absolutely get one with a computer controller.

You can look at big suppliers like Clay Center in Portland, Bennett's in Fla. or directly from manufacturer 's like Skutt in Seattle or L and L in NJ or Paragon in TX. Research size and how your back feels when bending over it.

Marcia

Archived