• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lynette

lynette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

What happens to cobalt oxide if I put on a clear glaze and fire to earthenware 1060. Also what is nikel oxide used for?

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

What happens to cobalt oxide if I put on a clear glaze and fire to earthenware 1060. Also what is nikel oxide used for?

1060 F is really low. Do you mean 1060 C? If you have a glaze that fluxes at that temperature, you could use the cobalt and nickel as a wash mixed in with the glaze. Cobalt could blister if used in high concentrations...same for the nickel. You just need 1-2% for the desired color effect.

#3 Matt Katz

Matt Katz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAlfred, New York

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:46 AM

1060 F is really low. Do you mean 1060 C? If you have a glaze that fluxes at that temperature, you could use the cobalt and nickel as a wash mixed in with the glaze. Cobalt could blister if used in high concentrations...same for the nickel. You just need 1-2% for the desired color effect.

1060 C is Cone 04 (more or less)

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

1060 C is Cone 04 (more or less)

and 1060 F is below ^022

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users