Cress Kiln FX-911

I recently purchased a second hand Cress FX-911 kiln.  It has a kiln sitter and a Firemate Control.  I have been trying to fire it for almost a week.  Yesterday, I had some success, but something is still not right.  I was firing to 04, to bisque fire some cookies and test the kiln.  By setting the limit timer to 12 (the longest setting available), the Firemate to C (medium), and the thumbwheel to 1, I did manage to get the elements to heat up to red hot, and the kiln sitter cone  bent a little   I don’t have a pyrometer, but based on the cone (see pic), I’m guessing that the kiln got to around 06 after about 5 hours of firing.  What happened yesterday, and has happened in the past, is that the power to the kiln shuts off (the light on the kiln sitter goes off), but the kiln sitter has not dropped, and the time on the limit timer has not elapsed.  The kiln is plugged into a GFCI outlet, which has not tripped.  I’m thinking maybe there is something wrong with the limit timer?  I eventually would like to fire bisque to 04, and glaze fire to 5.  Help!

78D33E0B-FD1B-4B51-B24D-28515351CB0F.jpeg

Sounds like your sitter needs adjustment, cleaning and checking. All the power comes into the sitter so if it trips, everything turns off. There are several you tube videos out there that may be helpful, search kiln sitter  if you are a DIY er. My guess is the slightest bend of your cone shuts it off prematurely. Maybe a bent rod, but service just the same.

I believe your wiring diagram below and a screenshot of the manual. Both are available on the Cress site.

Thank you Bob...why do you think it is the kiln sitter?  It has never tripped, unless I have removed the cone from the brackets.  That’s why I was thinking it was the limit timer.  I was hoping that setting it on 12 would eliminate the issue (previously, I had set it per Cress’ recommendation at about 1hr longer than the expected firing time-between 6-8 hours).  Prior to setting it to 12, the kiln had always shut off after 2-3 hours.  To me, it seems as if the kiln is firing for slightly  less than half of what the limit timer is set for....

4 hours ago, KokopelliArts said:

Thank you Bob...why do you think it is the kiln sitter?  It has never tripped, unless I have removed the cone from the brackets.  That’s why I was thinking it was the limit timer.  I was hoping that setting it on 12 would eliminate the issue (previously, I had set it per Cress’ recommendation at about 1hr longer than the expected firing time-between 6-8 hours).  Prior to setting it to 12, the kiln had always shut off after 2-3 hours.  To me, it seems as if the kiln is firing for slightly  less than half of what the limit timer is set for....

Maybe, just never have seen a timer speed up.

Late add: the timer is downstream of the sitter so if there was time still left on it, looks like the sitter shut it off.

Archived