slab roller repair

jkb

Neil, My slab roller suffered damage in the florence hurricane, the flood water was about 5 feet in my studio and the water took days to dissipate. . The slab roller  is like and operates like a shimpo  slabroller, it has 2 rollers.  I have looked at their website and the instruction manual is available but does not include info about the rollers, it only addresses how to put the basic parts together for operation.  Anyway the two sides of the tabletop swelled. I have removed the table ends. The roller that adjusts the thickness of the clay works,  it  goes up and down.  The problem is that the bottom roller does not move forward or backward.  I have used  WD40 on all the bolts and cogs as well as the ends of the rollers.  I can't get the bottom roller to move more than an 1/8th of a turn.  It won't move.  I am wondering if I need to adjust the cogs (wheel works) or if I should try to remove the roller?  I'm not sure how to do that ? Since the flood waters were so dirty and there was lots of debris (sticks, mud etc) could that have affected the roller or maybe somehow  debris in the roller attachments?  Help...

I have lots of equipment to deal with and this is the easiest to work on now... Kilns are drying slowly... hair dryers inside.  still not sure if the computers will work.... waiting  isn't easy.  I'm sure I'll need a new thermocouples, praying not to have to replace elements... overwhelming... thanks for your expertise and advice.  My wheel works thank goodness... have had "Pacifica" for 22 years... a good wheel.  Best  Joyce Basye

I am not familiar with the specifics of that slab roller, but I would go ahead and disassemble the whole thing, clean it up, and put it back together. Use your phone and take lots of pictures as you take it apart, and write down what you're doing so you can reverse the steps to put it all back together.

Archived