air dry clay on funko pop

So it's my very first time making a DIY funko pop and also my first time working with clay at all. I've done some research on the best way I can sculpt the clay onto the model considering my circumstance. I've decided to go to with air dry clay for the sculpt so that I no longer need to bake it as I don't have a spare oven. I've started sculpting and it already dried off but hairline cracks keep happening. I've repeated the repairs such as using a pasted clay and drying it while covered in plastic. Now I'm afraid the sculpt will be too heavy but will keep on cracking if I keep repairing. Any better solutions?

If I understand correctly, you're trying to attach clay to a figure? That doesn't work. The clay shrinks as it dries, and will crack as a result. It also won't bond very well to the figure. Once it's dry it will probably fall off. Plus, air dry clay isn't durable at all. Look at polymer clay or an epoxy putty instead.

Yes exactly. I have one that already works and is completely set and dry and also well attached. It has a short hair made of clay but the other figure with long hair has the cracks and it feels heavier. I have never used polymer clay. Does it dry quick and is the cracking possibility lower? Also the epoxy putty available in my area is all for home maintenance like leaks so will that work? I might go with that if so because it is insanely cheaper.

Yes, that epoxy from the hardware store will work. Just check to make sure it's paintable. There's also a product out there called Epoxy Sculpt or something like that which may work for you. I'm not sure of the shrinkage rate of polymer clay. You'll have to do some research there. And the polymer clay will need to be oven baked. You may or may not be able to do that right on the figure, depending on what the figure is made of. If it's plaster, then no. If it's clay, then probably yes. But you can always let it set up on the figure, then take it off and bake it, then glue it back on.

Archived