Test Porcelain Throws Very Well

I decided to use just three ingredients to make a porcelain.  1st ingredient is T-6 kaolin , the second is Mahivari feldspar, and the 3rd is a sandstone from lake superior, called the CHEQUAMEGON SANDSTONE  which is very nice in the sense that it is fine grained, and has some Iron  in it but otherwise very clean  that is in the picture the red stuff. I had to break it down with a hammer and crush it and milled it in the ball mill to = 200 mesh- Now i was expecting to have trouble throwing it and thought it would  slump when throwing  but to my surprise it threw like a dream and it has no bentonite in it at all  I don't know how this could be  is it the sandstone ,? or is it the Mahivari ? or do the three just make a great combo- can't wait to fire it and see how it does.

post-80534-0-88679500-1496429700_thumb.jpg

post-80534-0-61802800-1496429738_thumb.jpg

the recipe is   50% T-6 kaolin ,    24% Mahivari feldspar, and 32% sandstone from the Bayfields group of sandstone a red sandstone, keep in mind this is not the brown stone which i am itching to get hold of because the brownstone is an arkose and has more fluxes and iron. I heard the upper sandstones are more clean but still have Iron and some alumina in them . but i could see when breaking it up it was nicely sorted  material and fine graned

glazenerd , thats good i would like to use more of the mahivari  . I can say the difrence between the anoka glacial outwash sand and the sandstone is that it does not ball up when mixing thru screen  somthing to the sandstone  that is good

Archived