Used Low Fire Underglaze, Messed Up

Hello! I am very very new to ceramics and I have used a low fire underglaze to paint my pieces. They were Bisque fired and came out a bit glossy which signaled my instructor that I did something wrong and used low fire underglazes. I want to finish my pieces but I was told that they may get messed up after I glaze them. I wanted to use a clear glaze to make them food safe. Is this still possible? They are detailed pieces and I would hate to lose their designs. I used brown clay, and I was told that they have to fire the glaze at high temperatures. I am sorry I dont know alot so Im sorry if i got anything wrong. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to these forums.

Something you will hear a lot of with ceramics is “test, test, testâ€. You don't want to mess up either your piece or the kiln shelves so I would run a test first.

Some low fire underglazes are fine at cone 6, some at cone 10. Others fade out or change colour. I’ve had just a couple underglazes come out a bit glossy when bisque fired to cone 04. I would make a flat slab but turn the edges up just a bit to make a shallow rim of the same clay, will save any possible mishaps melting onto kiln shelves. Then brush on all your colours of underglaze, # the colours for your records, then bisque and glaze fire it. Not only will temperature effect the final colour of the underglazes but the chemistry of the clear glaze you put on them makes a difference also.

ps, don't need to say "sorry I dont know alot so Im sorry if i got anything wrong", in ceramics there is always something to get wrong and something to learn.  :)

Archived