• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 johnwm

johnwm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

I find that wedging and mixing by hand is much easier if you use a vertical harp - have a look at what I use

#22 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hey John that is a nifty little tool! Looks great and might even help my wrists.... thanks for posting that Trina

#23 midnight_potter

midnight_potter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationgainesville florida

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

so im trying to figure out a way to recycle clay in my studio

#1, not doing it by hand and #2, not spending $4000 on a mixer.

i thought maybe i could find some sort of large kitchen mixer that wouldnt cost me an arm and a leg.

any ideas?

I have been making pots and recycling clay in my studio for some 30 years and most of the methods already described here are similar to mine. I have also poured and hung pillow cases of clay like aging cheese and that was a good especially in a wet cooler climate.
I am not sure you will get by forever without some sort of pugmill because it is so much easier to throw the recycled with the new bagged clay into the pugmill and get a great end throwing product. You do not need a de-airing pugmill. The plain ones (Paul Soldner model or bluebird?) work very well with an occasional handwedging for more delicate closed forms. Also never have I found chunks of plaster in my clay and I have used plaster for all those years and most of the time the same bats. I don't dry the clay first - I throw the scrap into slip that is already used and go from there, decanting and mixing by hand and then picking up handfuls and placing it on plaster bats about 12 inches across. These bats can take up to a week to harden and need to be watched after that even covering with plastic if necessary. Usually I turn them so the middle equalizes. If you are a skilled thrower and used to a production of sorts you can count on reclaiming one third of your clay with slab work producing somewhat more scrap. Reclaiming takes time. I can spend a morning clearing up my buckets and arranging bats all over the place. But one cannot with any conscience actually throw the scrap out (as Colin Pearson from England (now deceased) told me he did because there was no room in his studio.)

#24 Sojourner

Sojourner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

I find that wedging and mixing by hand is much easier if you use a vertical harp - have a look at what I use

Someone on the clay art list told me they used a heavy duty metal shelf bracket (L shaped thingy) with a wire stretched across that, then clamped to the table edge.

Similar idea, maybe a little easier to implement sans tools (or at least with fewer tools, don't need a saw to cut up the wood, still need pliers and whatnot). I hope to be implementing this soon, to go along with my hardibacker portable wedging surface.

Here are 2 different videos detailing my preferred wedging method - I actually did not know why people complained about having to wedge until I saw what they were talking about, which I always called kneading, not wedging! Wire wedging is easy. I'm limited only by how much clay I can lift at one time.

Michael Wendt showing us how to stack 'n slam

Bill Van Gilder demo (look near the middle to the end)

#25 sarrah groves

sarrah groves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

I reclaim my clay much the same as Trina. But instead of using plaster bats, I pour it into a canvas that I have draped over a wood frame, laid on the grass. The water seeps through the canvas, and the clay air-drys nicely. I cover it with a loose piece of plastic to keep leaves and other stuff out of it. When it reaches the consistancy I like, I wedge it and store it in clay bags.

The other solution is my husband. He is a tinkerer, and a craftsman, and has built a fantastic extruder and a bee-Uut-i-ful stainless steel slab roller for me. He asked what I would like for Christmas, and I cheerfully told him I would like a pugmill. He is building it now. I think I will keep him

do you think you could post how he made the pugmill?

#26 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't think the vertical harp is nearly as good as just attaching a wire at a diagonal to a a wedging board. The whole rinky dink contraption looks like it will break and fall apart if you use any force or more than a pound or two of clay. This is much better: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HApNjUnI9U4 but even here, the wedging board should be a LOT bigger and stronger.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users