What Glaze Would Give The Effect And Is It Food Safe

Edwin Wise

Hello everyone, i have been looking at these lovely matt glazes from Japanese potters for a long time but have no idea how to go about experimenting to create similar effects with my glazes. My only thoughts have been to large amount of iron oxide or other oxides to create these matt black but i am worried that the wares will become no longer food safe.

see examples below/attached.

Many thanks 

Ediwn

post-65383-0-48249000-1454926083_thumb.jpg

Guest JBaymore

Edwin,

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Hard to tell exactly from the picture there, but I think that you are looking at unglazed clay surfaces.  Very common in Japanese work.Looks like a very dark clay body and a lighter slip over that in the one area. 

The slip looks like it is done in a common Japanese approach where it is put on thicker, then fired, then partially ground off after firing. (a time consuming and dangerously dusty process.)

As to the "food safe" question....... you are opening a "can-o-worms" discussion there.  Go to the main forum page and search the term "food safe".  You'll find lots of discussion.  The Japanese have no problems with using this type of ware for food.  For your own work... you'll have to decide AFTER doing a lot of research into the question.  No easy answer there.

best,

.............john

Archived