Newbie Needs Advice On Kiln Purchase

slparish66

Hi

I'm a newbie, but quite serious and dedicated. My husband wants to get me a kiln for a major milestone birthday. I would like an electric, with most intended firing at Cone 6 (for white stoneware and porcelain). This is a hobby- I have a day job.

Any advice would be wonderful? I have read pages and pages of entries here, and thank the community for being so generous.

Thanks!

If you want information on L&L kilns, feel free to contact me privately.

Here are the basics. I recommend you talk to your kiln supplier about all of this before ordering anything:

The first thing you need to figure out is the location for the kiln. It should be indoors and at least 16 inches from anything flammable. A concrete floor is preferred, but wood floors can be dealt with. No carpet! You'll also need to figure out how you're going to vent it. Downdraft kiln vents need a 4" hole to the exterior, just like a dryer vent.

Then you need to see what your electrical service panel can handle. Most hobby sized kilns will need a 60 amp breaker or smaller- down to 30 amps. Have an electrician check out the breaker box.

Once you figure that out, you'll need to decide what size kiln will work best for you. The 23 inch wide by 27 inch tall models like the L&L E23T-3 are the most popular, but that may or may not be the right size for you. Also, what's right for you now may not be right for you in the future. I recommend getting the kiln you'll need in 5 years. Kilns last 20+ years if taken care of, so you want to buy the one that will fit your needs for as long as possible.

After that, get quotes from electricians to run the wiring. Kiln wiring can be as little as $200 or as much as $1500 depending on your situation. Get several quotes. Once your sure everything will work out, order your kiln!

The kiln must be wired according to the electrical service in your home. For most homes in the US, that means 240 volts, single phase. If you get the wrong voltage or phase kiln, it won't work properly.

Others will chime in with their recommendations on specific brands.

Archived