Paper Clay Outside?

I am currently planning a small community project with our church school - it will be a tiled mural and will probably be mounted outdoors and my question is has anyone tried such a venture with paper clay? I read yesterday on the forum that "paper clay is still clay" so the theory is it should be OK provided I use high-fire clay as my base. I normally use a highly-grogged high-fire clay for outdoor sculptures, but thought it might be interesting - and a new experience for the children - to try a project making and using paper clay. I'd be really grateful for any comments .... I am in the UK so the weather needs to be taken into consideration! Thankyou. Christine

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently planning a small community project with our church school - it will be a tiled mural and will probably be mounted outdoors and my question is has anyone tried such a venture with paper clay? I read yesterday on the forum that "paper clay is still clay" so the theory is it should be OK provided I use high-fire clay as my base. I normally use a highly-grogged high-fire clay for outdoor sculptures, but thought it might be interesting - and a new experience for the children - to try a project making and using paper clay. I'd be really grateful for any comments .... I am in the UK so the weather needs to be taken into consideration! Thankyou. Christine

Hello Christine,

Paper clay as a sculpture medium for kids is great. The advantages of paper clay over a traditional clay body are many. Please feel free to visit my website www.anthonyfoo.com or my blog for more information about paper clay.

Once the paper clay has gone thru the bisque fire, it acts just like regular clay. With your high fire clay, it can be taken to your maturation temp. without any trouble. For an outdoor installation project, you then have to think about how to mount your tile pieces on to the wall or substrate. Tile adhesive. mastic, thin set or similar products will work. These can be found in home improvement stores in their tiling department. Marine epoxy works great too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. Good luck on your project!

Hello Christine,

Paper clay as a sculpture medium for kids is great. The advantages of paper clay over a traditional clay body are many. Please feel free to visit my website www.anthonyfoo.com or my blog for more information about paper clay.

Once the paper clay has gone thru the bisque fire, it acts just like regular clay. With your high fire clay, it can be taken to your maturation temp. without any trouble. For an outdoor installation project, you then have to think about how to mount your tile pieces on to the wall or substrate. Tile adhesive. mastic, thin set or similar products will work. These can be found in home improvement stores in their tiling department. Marine epoxy works great too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. Good luck on your project!

Thanks very much for your input, Anthony - I hadn't actually got round to properly thinking about mounting the project, so thank you for that, too; and thinking about mounting, if I use paper clay , it will be less heavy and therefore easier to install.... I just love this forum!!

Christine

Archived