Black Areas In Glazed Tile

Whit

I have a problem with glaze. A test tile that I made has black areas.

I'm new to making things with clay and don't know much. I've looked through the FAQ in the glaze section of this forum and searched in general, but haven't found a solution.

I have a sort of new electric Paragon kiln which I used for enameling. It's max temperature is 2000 degrees F.

I'm using Amaco White Art Clay No. 25 fired to 1941 degrees F. I got three bottles of Amaco LG glaze which say to fire to cone O5. I made small test tiles and bisque fired them. Then I put on one coat of Amaco Liquid Gloss glaze. I fired the three little tiles to 1911 degrees F. Two of them look fine. The amber glaze (LG-65), however, has black areas.

I'm linking to a picture of the problem tile.

Can you tell me what I did wrong that caused the black areas on my amber tile?

Thanks.

--Whit

I use a low fire Amaco Amber glaze, and it does develop those dark brown spots. I'm not an expert, but they may develop in areas, where the glaze is thinner, or thicker. It doesn't look the best, when a work is fired flat, but I like how it flows on vertical surfaces, as it adds some darker streaks, and nice variation to the surface. It looks great on the inside of bowls, because of this.

I also use that Amaco LG Amber glaze and found that it does leave some darker areas especially when applied to flat surfaces and not so much on textured areas. The bottle recommends brushing on 2-3 coats. Make sure they are even and it might be a more uniform color.

Paul

Benzine and Paul--

Thanks for your answers. Its good to know I'm not missing something obvious.

I went back and took a hard look at the swatch/sample colors for Amaco Liquid Gloss. I can see a few tiny specks in their sample, though not nearly the amount that I have in mine.

--Whit

I've found some of my test tiles, don't turn out exactly like those in the magazines, even when following the label instructions.  

I try them a couple times, and if they still don't turn out right, they don't get reordered.

Amber is one I kept ordering, because even though the tile doesn't look perfect, I do like the glaze on wares.

Archived