• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lorraine

lorraine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

I need clay formula to withstand temp. higher than cone 10.

#2 Mudlark

Mudlark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWoodend Australia

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

How much higher ? What do want to do with it? The proposed use will have some effect on the formula. You could use a porcelain formula. Newcomb Ceramic Whitewares Pitman 1947 pp 230 Table 10-2 gives the following in %ages Kaolin 50, Flint 25 and Feldspar 25.It is fired as high as 2650 degrees F. Newcomb gives the recipe for a number of bodies firing up C14. How do you intend to fire them ?

Hope this helps,
Mudlark

#3 lorraine

lorraine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

How much higher ? What do want to do with it? The proposed use will have some effect on the formula. You could use a porcelain formula. Newcomb Ceramic Whitewares Pitman 1947 pp 230 Table 10-2 gives the following in %ages Kaolin 50, Flint 25 and Feldspar 25.It is fired as high as 2650 degrees F. Newcomb gives the recipe for a number of bodies firing up C14. How do you intend to fire them ?

Hope this helps,
Mudlark

Thanks.....I want to make a rod that I can stack sculpture on and would hold up at 2245 F (about cone 6) without bending or breaking. Would this work..Do I need to fire it higher than 2381 F in order to be solid.?

Lorraine

#4 Mudlark

Mudlark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWoodend Australia

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

Hope this helps,
Mudlark

Thanks.....I want to make a rod that I can stack sculpture on and would hold up at 2245 F (about cone 6) without bending or breaking. Would this work..Do I need to fire it higher than 2381 F in order to be solid.?

Lorraine

Have you considered using shelf props ? They are available in a number of lengths and are designed to stand up to many firings at cone 11 12.
Mudlark

#5 RahRah

RahRah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

Check out McMaster-Carr for all kinds of useful things. They have ceramic tubes in various sizes with service temperatures of 3100 degrees F. http://www.mcmaster....-tubing/=6skfyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users