Can You Sand Off Designs On The Inside Of A Slip Mold?

Yes it is possable to sand a plaster mold. It may or may be a good idea. you may find it very hard to match the shape of the pot so that finished piece looks right. You might want to make a casting of the pot remove the unwante

d parts then make a new mold. that way you will have far bettercontrol of the finished product then you would with sanding the plaster mold

have fun with it

Tom

Yes it is possable to sand a plaster mold. It may or may be a good idea. you may find it very hard to match the shape of the pot so that finished piece looks right. You might want to make a casting of the pot remove the unwante

d parts then make a new mold. that way you will have far bettercontrol of the finished product then you would with sanding the plaster mold

have fun with it

Tom

thanks tom. thats exactly what i wanted to hear.

its a very lightly embossed image, so i dont think its going to have too much of an effect on the shape of the pot.

i was just told to pour the mold and sand off the image from the pot. id like to try to get it taken care of to save me work later.

thanks!

I bought a bunch of molds at an auction and alter them all the time. You can sand them off and carve in line designs, giving you the shape with your own designs on it. I carve large flat surfaces and work a soft slab into them giving me tiles with a raised design . You can also make small carvings, lay a porcelain slab onto the carvings and use for jewelry or sprigs. You do need to wear a mask when you sand and carve the plaster and wash the plaster off the mold and let it dry before you use it. Just be very careful not to inhale the plaster dust and keep it away from your clay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived