Firing After Bisque Stage

My computer lost all the helpful emails that potter friends have sent me, so I'm going to ask a question that is so rudimentary that it's embarrassing. After I bisque fire to 06, what kind of time frame do I need for the next firing? Typically it is a copper carbonate firing that is followed by an underglaze firing. I don't intend to fire higher than 04 at any time. I think that I remember that there is no need for pre-firing, and that I fire 2 hours on low, 2 hours on medium, and then however long it takes to get to cone 06, or if it's the last firing, 04. Does that sound right?

I've just put my sculptures in the kiln, not realizing that I'd forgotten a few important details like HOW LONG to fire them ohmy.gif , so if anybody wants to jump in here with advice, I'm listening!

Thanks, Jayne

It sounds like your second firing it just to set the color so a quick firing such as you describe should be fine.

Same for setting underglaze colors ... No need to dawdle.

Critical firings are for bisque which should be longer so all the impurities burn out ... slower at the start to be sure everything is dry.

Glaze firings are also time sensitive so they tend to be done on a customized basis.

It sounds like your second firing it just to set the color so a quick firing such as you describe should be fine.

Same for setting underglaze colors ... No need to dawdle.

Critical firings are for bisque which should be longer so all the impurities burn out ... slower at the start to be sure everything is dry.

Glaze firings are also time sensitive so they tend to be done on a customized basis.

Thanks, Chris, for the reassurance!! Jayne

Archived