Not Enough Voltage Incoming For Electric Kiln?

Does anyone know if an electronic kiln, Amaco Cone 10 Excel, can be programmed to fire to the correct temperature using the electronics to make up for the the short fall of only having 208 volts coming into a kiln that's registered to fire with 240 volts. The amps are supposed to be 48 and the kiln's electronics also say that we are receiving 16, 13 and 16, for a total of 45 Amps, which is also a little short. Is there anyway to correct these problems using the electronic settings without having to have new elecric run to the kiln?

Does anyone know if an electronic kiln, Amaco Cone 10 Excel, can be programmed to fire to the correct temperature using the electronics to make up for the the short fall of only having 208 volts coming into a kiln that's registered to fire with 240 volts.

The electronic controller cannot compensate for low voltage. The controller can signal the elements to turn on, but it cannot increase the kiln's wattage. Sincerely, Arnold Howard Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Does anyone know if an electronic kiln, Amaco Cone 10 Excel, can be programmed to fire to the correct temperature using the electronics to make up for the the short fall of only having 208 volts coming into a kiln that's registered to fire with 240 volts.

The electronic controller cannot compensate for low voltage. The controller can signal the elements to turn on, but it cannot increase the kiln's wattage. Sincerely, Arnold Howard Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Thank you for replying so quickly, do you believe that we would be able to reach our desired Cone 06 bisque and cone 6 temperature with a longer firing or be able to reach those temps by setting the kiln to fire at a higher cone temp e.g.: 04 for bisque and 7 for glaze, we are working with a Laguna/Miller #50 Cone 6 Stoneware clay and Cone 6 Amaco Glazes. This is a class at an Military Base, they currently only have 208 Voltage available.

Thank you for replying so quickly, do you believe that we would be able to reach our desired Cone 06 bisque and cone 6 temperature with a longer firing or be able to reach those temps by setting the kiln to fire at a higher cone temp e.g.: 04 for bisque and 7 for glaze, we are working with a Laguna/Miller #50 Cone 6 Stoneware clay and Cone 6 Amaco Glazes. This is a class at an Military Base, they currently only have 208 Voltage available.

FYI, in my personal studio my husband resurrected a couple of older Paragon kilns, they were very efficient. The studio where I am currently trying to teach a beginners pottery class had already purchased equipment when I arrived. Thanks again.

You are very welcome. The answer depends on the size of the kiln. Some models are designed to take extra wattage to compensate for low voltage. I would test fire a couple of pieces, along with witness cones. Programming a higher temperature will not help in reaching the cone when you are having a problem with low voltage. I would program the cone that you wish to reach.

It is nice that you are teaching on a military base. I have a friend who took a class while in the Army. That was decades ago, and he still loves ceramics.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

FYI, in my personal studio my husband resurrected a couple of older Paragon kilns, they were very efficient. The studio where I am currently trying to teach a beginners pottery class had already purchased equipment when I arrived. Thanks again.

I'm very pleased that you had good results from your Paragon kilns. Thanks for telling me.

You may have to change the elements in your classroom kiln if it won't fire hot enough on 208 volts. The kiln manufacturer should be able to furnish elements that are designed for 208 volts.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

I'm very pleased that you had good results from your Paragon kilns. Thanks for telling me.

You may have to change the elements in your classroom kiln if it won't fire hot enough on 208 volts. The kiln manufacturer should be able to furnish elements that are designed for 208 volts.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Will changing the elements to 208 solve my problem? If so, that is what we may do. Yes working on a base is fun, challenging though for those of us used to our own studios and fixing problems like these ourselves. Everyone seems to be enjoying the course however, it will be disappointing if they cannot finish their pieces. It is a short 4 weeks course with a 3 hour class each week and then studio time, this is the 1st class and it's a challenge to get the work done even without this kiln firing problem. Amazingly we have covered, pinch pots, coil, slab and all are learning to throw pots. All 5 are in the process of being able to center and raise a cylinder, of course they are various thicknesses, but all are getting there in there second class on the wheel.

They told me their "heads" are spinning with knowledge, funny. Just need to get their pieces bisque and glaze fired....

Will changing the elements to 208 solve my problem? If so, that is what we may do.

If your kiln is designed for 240 volts (you can find out by reading the electrical data plate), then yes, changing the elements to 208 volts will definitely make it fire hotter. The data plate will also list the kiln's rated maximum temperature. Changing the elements is not difficult. You may need to change the transformer; I would ask the manufacturer when you order elements.

Teaching at a military base sounds interesting. I like the courtesy shown everywhere on bases, starting with the gate guard.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Will changing the elements to 208 solve my problem? If so, that is what we may do.

If your kiln is designed for 240 volts (you can find out by reading the electrical data plate), then yes, changing the elements to 208 volts will definitely make it fire hotter. The data plate will also list the kiln's rated maximum temperature. Changing the elements is not difficult. You may need to change the transformer; I would ask the manufacturer when you order elements.

Teaching at a military base sounds interesting. I like the courtesy shown everywhere on bases, starting with the gate guard.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Thanks, we have changed elements at my home studio many times, my husband is the kiln "guru", and if that will make it fire hotter and faster, maybe I should ask my boss if she wants to do that, but what about the "transformer", what is that, have not heard of that, and yes I also am familiar with the data plate, that lists 240 volts & 48 amps. It is a very courteous place, however there are many restrictions as to what you can do as everyone has their own specific duty. Have a nice day, back to work, thanks so much, Jackie

Thanks, we have changed elements at my home studio many times, my husband is the kiln "guru", and if that will make it fire hotter and faster, maybe I should ask my boss if she wants to do that, but what about the "transformer", what is that, have not heard of that

The transformer looks like a small spool of copper wire enclosed with sheet metal. It reduces the voltage to 24v AC, which powers the controller. It is possible that your kiln will need a different transformer; however, the transformer may work for 240 and 208 power. It is something to ask when you order elements.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Thanks, we have changed elements at my home studio many times, my husband is the kiln "guru", and if that will make it fire hotter and faster, maybe I should ask my boss if she wants to do that, but what about the "transformer", what is that, have not heard of that

The transformer looks like a small spool of copper wire enclosed with sheet metal. It reduces the voltage to 24v AC, which powers the controller. It is possible that your kiln will need a different transformer; however, the transformer may work for 240 and 208 power. It is something to ask when you order elements.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

thanks for the tips, I will check have a nice day, Jackie

Archived