Pueblo Style Coil Pot Instruction

I'm a self taught coil potter who could use some actual instruction on the fundamentals coil building in any of the American pueblo traditions. Seems to be a dearth of coil knowledge here in the midwest and, what I do find, is always Asian style. Any ideas out there? Lots of great inspiration on a recent trip to New Mexico and more than willing to relocate.

Thanks!

I'm a self taught coil potter who could use some actual instruction on the fundamentals coil building in any of the American pueblo traditions. Seems to be a dearth of coil knowledge here in the midwest and, what I do find, is always Asian style. Any ideas out there? Lots of great inspiration on a recent trip to New Mexico and more than willing to relocate.

Thanks!

Coil building is not really that complicated. Using curved gourds, rocks, paddle and anvil technique, coil and thrown, pukis or bases to start from and a few other techniques and tools are all out there. The fundamentals are to do it and try different techniques and sled the surface with fingers or tools and join the coils. The primary mistake found in coil building is not controlling the form. Sledding with a curved coconut shell or gourd are two ways to try if this is your main problem. Control when it comes to round form is different than when using coils for hard edge form. Still sledding is the best technique to hone up a form. Carving with knives and sure form rasps may be other techniques you may want to try. Look for a workshop at Arromont, Penland, Haystack, The Appalachian Center for Crafts (Vince Pitelka Teaches a great workshop on coil), Watershed, The Archie Bray Foundation, or some other smaller local community center. Good luck and keep on rolling.

Archived