Glaze Pencils

NickiGreen

Hi All! I've been making my own glaze pencils because they are so (in my opinion) prohibitively expensive, and the recipe on here looked simple enough. Has anyone tried using it before? I'm trying to make Pansy Purple using the mason stain of the same name (mixed only with water and fired to cone 6, this stain comes out a gorgeous blue-purple, i'm trying to get this same color) and have been experimenting with different percentages (as the original amount make a very light color).

I'm having trouble firing these pencils to any low temp and getting it to melt, the "lead" is very delicate even after firing. I added 20% frit 3134 and i'm still not getting much melt/staying power (the "lead" rubs off easily).

I guess i was just hoping to find out if anyone else has tried to make these pencils, and also if folks have used commercial pencils and if so what their properties are once fired (preferably to 06 or 04).

Thanks!

Nicki

recipe here- http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/underglaze-ceramic-supplies-2/drawn-to-surface-how-to-make-and-use-underglaze-pencils-crayons-pens-and-trailers/

i've made and used DIY underglaze pencils/pastel sticks before.  we use the same recipe as you would for underglaze:  equal parts colorant, clay, flux.  Usually it's EPK or OM4 for the clay, and either a Frit like 3134/3124 or Gerstley Borate for the flux.  Colorant is either raw oxide or stain

We don't even pre-fire them, just mix and sieve, drive off some water and then form into a coil and wrap it in newsprint (ends up kinda like a crayon/pastel/chalk stick)   I could see how firing them could help, I might have to try that out next time.

Archived