Help With Ceramic

Hello every one I am new to ceramic art I am trying to make a ceramic start with the help of silicone star mold I made a paste of ceramic by adding water to it and I simply poured it into the mold and left it for dring but it did not set for more then 5 hours I removed it and tried again and left it for overnight but the result was same please help me hope to get reply soon thanks.

I think you are looking for information on slips and mold making. Look in the Ceramic Arts Daily section of this site ( link on the bar at the top of the page ) to find information. You can also Google under these terms and there are books written on these topics.

As you have seen, you have to learn how to make the clay slips so they work well in your molds.

Guest JBaymore

Sameer,

For ceramic work the molds in use typically are made of porous water absorbing materials like hydrocal, hydrostone, pottery plaster, bnisqued clay, or sometimes wood. Silicone is not the material of choice. This allows the clay to dry ouit in the mold and stiffen.

As Chris mentioned....... chack out the availabe information online in LOTS of places about topics like slip caasting, press molding and the like.

best,

................john

thanks for the reply i would like to explain what i am trying to make, i am trying to make a 1 inch think star with a half inch deep hole in it in which i will put a t-lite i have a positive of star in wood as Mr. jone said i will make the mold of plaster. i also want to know that i should use ceramic slip for the same or some other form of ceramic some told me to add adhesive binder in the slip so that it get hard, also want to know the cure time of ceramic hope to get reply soon thanks

Guest JBaymore

Ceramic (clay) has to be fired to "set". Dry clay is not very strong at all. Even adding a binder will not make it very durable. You'd be better casting the piece in plaster than using clay if you do not have firing facilities.

Clay has to be fired to about 1000 F (538 C) to begin to be come "ceramic" ....... and be "fired". Usually pieces are fired much hotter than this... since as a GENERALITY... the hotter it is fired the stronger it is.

Do you have access to a kiln?

best,

.............john

Ceramic (clay) has to be fired to "set". Dry clay is not very strong at all. Even adding a binder will not make it very durable. You'd be better casting the piece in plaster than using clay if you do not have firing facilities.

Clay has to be fired to about 1000 F (538 C) to begin to be come "ceramic" ....... and be "fired". Usually pieces are fired much hotter than this... since as a GENERALITY... the hotter it is fired the stronger it is.

Do you have access to a kiln?

best,

.............john

i dont have access to a kiln is there any other material which i can use? i did not understand "You'd be better casting the piece in plaster than using clay if you do not have firing facilities" by plaster do you main plaster pf paris and if yes then how to make it strong cause as far as i know its not that strong

Hi again one of my friend do this kind of job I ask him to give me the ceramic he use I used it and it gave me great result and it became hard in around in 45 min and i removed it from the mold in 1 hour, it became bit hot while it was drying, this ceramic is very fine like talc and creamish in color I ask him about the product he said its a high quality ceramic and he got it from other city he requested him to order same for me but I think he is avoiding me do you have any idea regarding any thing like this I am posting the photo of my star hope to get reply soon thanks.

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/sameershivdasani1982/media/FCB63DCE-2681-46D3-B072-BB8AE8169365-603-00000028F0A39BE7_zpsbbefa723.jpg.html

Archived