#21 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

A local luthier also made a bouzouki for me... got a trade reduction. Check it out (below)...

Also- I recently traded a fountain for a case of artisian merlot from a local winery...

4066588_orig.jpg

Not all who wander are lost

#22 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

gorgeous!  when will we hear you play it on youtube?

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#23 Kohaku

Kohaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

gorgeous!  when will we hear you play it on youtube?

Rambling Pitchfork etc.

This is from a couple days after I got the thing, so I was still figuring it out.

(With my luck, and the way things have been going of late, I can only pray that the link doesn't kick you to some naughty site someplace...)

#24 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

My best trade :  I thought I was trading with a weaver for a couple of scarves and throws, but ended up trading for a $700 coat -- and that was 20 years ago when a hundred bucks was a heck of a lot of money!  It was all a comedy of errors that resulted in my owning a one-of-a-kind handmade winter coat of woven wool and brocade, made by two talented gentlemen who also spun the wool from their own sheep.  The errors stemmed from the fact that I have slight prosopagnosia (inability to recognize faces), and I'm always trying to bluff my way through craft shows when I fail to recognize artists with whom I've been sharing craft shows for years.  In this case, when a weaver approached me and told me that he always enjoyed seeing my work at the SIX shows a year that we did together, I didn't want to admit that I didn't have a clue who he was, so I pretended to be familiar with his work. When he offered to trade for a $375 dancing pigs sculpture, I said "sure, why not", figuring I'd unload a $375 sculpture that no one but me and him thought was worth owning.  This was 20 years ago, when $375 would buy a lot of weavings, so I figured I'd get lots and lots of Christmas presents out of the deal.  After wrapping up his sculpture and sending him back to his booth, I went to select my Christmas presents -- and found that this weaver offered only two products - a short coat for $450 and a long one for $700!  The short one didn't look good on me, so what else could I do but opt for the $700 coat, which meant that I owed HIM another $325 in trades. 

Oh yeah, did I mention that I live in South Carolina where it gets cold enough to wear that coat about -- oh -- about once every five years??

But what the heck, it is a beautiful coat, and every Christmas when I fly to Santa Fe for the traditional Christmas Eve walk on Canyon Road, where temperatures range from 15 to 30 degrees, that coat pays for itself ten times over!

#25 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

it was a treat to see you and hear the music i like.  thank you, Kohaku.  if you were nearby, you could join the musicians at the general store in Shepherdstown on thursday nights.  all irish and scottish music with each person playing several instruments.  just a jam session with old time music.  

it is crazy on st patrick's day if it falls on a thursday!

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#26 Kohaku

Kohaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

it was a treat to see you and hear the music i like.  thank you, Kohaku.  if you were nearby, you could join the musicians at the general store in Shepherdstown on thursday nights.  all irish and scottish music with each person playing several instruments.  just a jam session with old time music.  

it is crazy on st patrick's day if it falls on a thursday!

Thanks for the kind words!

Likewise- if you're ever near Moscow, Idaho, we have a monthly session at a local pub. We're sort of lost in the back end of beyond, though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users